On Tuesday 29th March, the big day arrived and lots of lovely library and info pro people met for (lib)Teach Meet 2. Having attended the first (lib)TeachMeet, I was really looking forward to this event and I think I can safely say it was a success and everyone enjoyed themselves. I was fortunate enough to be included on the organising committee this time around and learnt a lot, so thanks for the encouragement and letting me get involved (in the small way that I did), lib(TeachMeet) committee!
So what happens at a TeachMeet?
TeachMeet is an informal, fun event. There’s the chance to meet new people and to hear about and discuss new ideas in a relaxed setting, all over a drink and a bite to eat. Everyone is welcome: whether you’re a librarian, an information ninja, a shambrarian, or something else; whether you’re the head of your organisation or a junior assistant; whether you work in a university, a school, a business, or elsewhere.
This is what I really liked about the first TeachMeet and this one to, it really is an event for anyone and everyone to get involved in. There also seemed to be more of a mix of those working in different library and information environments this time which was great as I'm always curious to hear about how other libraries (and librarians) work.
Speakers included Liz Osman, with some fantastic ideas about how to engage students with striking library posters (I love keep calm-o-matic), Suzanne Paul talking about the time saving Teux Deux (mentioned in my previous post), and Sarah Pavey, Nicky Adkins and John Iona all provided interesting insights into the inner workings of school librarianship. I could go on! You can find links to all of the presentations here and look at the photos from the night here.
All of the presenters were fantastic (and I got lots of ideas from all of them) and the timing of the presentations themselves (nice and short) kept the pace of the night fresh and lively. There was also a chance to network in the breaktime. Oh, and did I mention there were mini eggs? I know I'm harping on about it, but I did enjoy myself (there wasn't any inevitable snoozesome moments you can sometimes get at events). It was a fun evening where I got to meet others in the profession and gather some useful tips at the same time.

No comments:
Post a Comment